[Seek] Peace in the Pandemic


[Lent 10]

It's on every channel, all over social media, and on everyone's minds: COVID-19. Stores  - both physical stores and online - are selling out of medical masks, disinfectant wipes, hand soap, and the like. People are scared. Media provides only mixed messages and panic. 

And I sit here not all that worried. 

I should be. I'm on immunosuppressive drugs. I have multiple chronic illnesses. There are few medications I can take without putting my already damaged liver at further risk. Nevertheless, panic doesn't do me any good. Worry is harmful to my mind, my health, my soul. 

I seek peace in the pandemic. 

In one of my social media groups, we are all immunocompromised, chronically ill people. We live with the fact that the common cold can land us in the hospital and the flu could easily be our demise. We go out into the world every day essentially putting our lives at risk. And we seem to be the least concerned about this new disease. 

Perhaps it's because, looking at the numbers, it's no more dangerous to us than the combination of other illnesses infecting the world around us. Or maybe it's because we're used to living with the fact that the only way for us to be safe from catching anything or potentially dying from anything is to hermit ourselves in our houses, never interacting with others, which we don't consider a viable option. It could be because we know all about hand washing and all the other things that go into doing our best to avoid catching something or that we've already made that choice to live our lives in the world, as scary as that may be. Maybe it's a combination of things. 

Whatever it is, I'm doing by best to find peace, even as others panic. I will wait and see how this disease progresses. I will re-evaluate what needs to be done as needed as the days and weeks go on. 

Comments

Popular Posts