[Seek] Peace in the Panic

[Lent 20]

It seems like everywhere I look, there are people panicking.

Social media - and the rest of the internet for that matter - is full of panic. Stores are full of panic. Government officials are full of panic. And none of this panic is helpful. 

The not-so-gentleman at Target dashed past me to grab the last four-pack of toilet paper from the shelf before I could reach for it, glaring at me in the process and hugging it to his body as if it were the Last Pack of TP on Earth. Having seven people in our household and running low on toilet paper, I chose not to panic and hope that I'll soon find some somewhere.

I never thought I'd have to choose not to panic over toilet paper. Toilet paper.

Fast forward a couple days and two of my children and I were at church handing out food to people who needed a free lunch. One woman stopped by to get food for her children, and commented on how peaceful it was in the church. As we were discussing the panic that is going on in most of the rest of the world, one of my children commented that we can't find toilet paper anywhere, and as a family of seven, things are going to get interesting soon. Bags of food in hand, we wished each other well and she went on her way.

A little while later, she returned to our door with a huge smile on her face. Opening the door for her, she handed me twelve rolls of toilet paper, told me she had more than enough at home, and told me to stay safe before dashing back to her car. I, of course, thanked her profusely ... and then thanked God for the opportunity to help her as well as for her help and care. 

Perhaps instead of panicking, trust that everything will work out one way or another. Be the kindness you wish to receive and believe it will come back to you in some way. 



Comments

Popular Posts