[Seek] Peace in Slowing Down


[Lent 7]

So much to do! So many places to go! Our to-do lists are neverending. There are always things we want to accomplish, movies to see, errands to run, adventures to be had. We often have to choose between doing one thing and another. We detest waiting - in traffic, in a doctor's office, in line. When we're not doing something, watching something, planning something, we're anxious and impatient.

I used to be that way. Then I got sick. Very sick. I had to readjust not only my priorities, but the way I pictured and processed my life - the way I engaged with the people and the world around me. Slowing down was a necessity, even though it went against how I lived and viewed my life at the time. Slowing down meant giving up things that were important to me and to my children. It meant losing a part of myself.  Or so I thought. 

It took a while, but I made peace with slowing down. 

I learned patience. I actually enjoy quiet time in waiting rooms - times to read, to connect with people on facebook, to chat with a stranger. I choose the longer line, not concerned with how much time it will take. 

I learned how to spend the day in bed and still accomplish great things, whether it be sewing costumes or designing logos or binge-watching something with my children. 

I realized that time spent with friends and family is often spent best at home sharing a meal, playing games, or just chatting. 

I discovered that few, quality activities are far more fulfilling than the stress of cramming in as many diversions as possible - that I was gaining far more than I was losing. 

Slowing down provided time to step back and see blessings everywhere and in everyone - realizing I just had to reach out in gratitude and embrace them.

Comments

Popular Posts