[Seek] Peace in the Early Morning

[Lent 12] 

I'm not a morning person. 

Alas, I had to get up way too early, way too soon after the clocks-forward-an-hour time change. Why I scheduled an 8AM cardiologist appointment in a town that takes around forty minutes to get to at that time of day, I have no idea.

I didn't want to get out of bed. It was difficult and painful. Despite the promise of a glorious day, my attitude was dark and stormy. My body craved sleep. Anxiety riddled my brain. Thank God I have a persistent, but caring husband who encouraged me out of bed and on with my day. 


As I wended my way toward the highway, I gazed at my gas gauge and breathed a sigh of relief. Thank God by brain was working well enough the day before that I remembered to put gas in my van in preparation for an early morning drive.

Approaching an intersection, the light green, I slowed to a stop anyway, as an elderly gentleman slowly bent to pick up something he dropped in the crosswalk in front of me. The vehicle on the other side of the intersection had stopped as well, the driver dashing to assist the man in retrieving his lost item and steadying him as he resumed his walker-assisted trip across the road.

Finally on the highway, I relaxed as I realized that despite the delay, I still had plenty of time to get to the medical office. The sky stretched radiantly ahead of me as I turned on the radio and enjoyed the journey.

Had I not had such an early morning, I would have missed so much - the loving care and encouragement of my husband, a beautiful sunrise, an act of kindness, time to myself to enjoy the journey.  

Comments

Popular Posts