Twenty-three: Prayer



I used to pray that God would feed the hungry, or do this or do that, but now I pray that He will guide me to do whatever I'm supposed to do, what I can do. I used to pray for answers, but now I pray for strength. I used to believe that prayer changes things, but now I know that prayer changes us, and we change things. ~Mother Theresa (with thanks to Hannah Myjak for posting this on facebook!)

There is a young woman whom I have come to greatly admire. Her giving spirit and big heart are evident from the moment you meet her. Her passion for life, for helping others, and for following her dreams not only inspires me to do more and be more, but implores me to. Hannah is an amazing artist, a wonderful teacher, a compassionate caregiver, and just an all-around amazing teenager. I find myself inspired by her daily, as she posts on facebook amazing quotes that echo her heart (such as the Mother Theresa quote above) along with artwork, snippets of amusing and heartwarming conversations, and some pretty deep thoughts for a person her age. She doesn't just see things that are wrong and hope someone comes along to make them right, she does what she can to right them herself through theater, art, photography, fundraising, using her many other talents and gifts, and by simply going out and doing, whether in her own home, her community, or in Africa. Her light shines brightly in this world, and by its very nature inspires others' lights to shine. 

Hannah posted the above quote several days ago and I have carried it in my heart ever since. Prayer changes us - we change things, has been like a mantra the past few days. I seem to be praying a little differently: for guidance and acceptance rather than outcome; for the ability to help things change, rather than simply a prayer for change. 

Thank you, Hannah, for being an inspiration. And for posting some amazing words just when I needed them! 


Photo by Zachary Steyer (student of Hannah Myjak)


________________________________________



Comments

Popular Posts