Twenty-one: Talk


Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift. Ephesians 4:29

Each word a gift? I think I may have given some bad gifts lately.

Overtired, overmedicated, and just plain worn out, angry words flew from my mouth. It was if I was taken over by some mean, grumpy beast and I couldn't stop myself. I immediately regretted flinging such bile at my children. I took a deep breath, said a quick prayer, and apologized. Really apologized, being specific in my regret, asking forgiveness. 

I don't like it when my mouth reacts more quickly to a situation than my brain; when negative emotions overrule love. It's something that doesn't happen often, but doesn't need to happen at all. Reacting in anger, complaining about a situation, or criticizing a person's actions only serves to promote negativity and cause our moods to wither. Reacting with helpful words, figuring out how to be improve a situation, and reserving your judgement of others can only bear fruit. 

Today, I intend: to think before I speak; to take deep breaths before reacting; to package each of my words as a gift to its recipient.


________________________________________

Comments

Popular Posts