Eleven: Peace


“You cannot find peace by avoiding life.” - Virginia Woolf
It is the day before my fourteen year old undergoes surgery to remove his tonsils and adenoids. Surgery. Under general anesthetic. Serious stuff, but necessary to hopefully put an end to sleep apnea by night and exhaustion by day. The child fell asleep drinking coffee, for goodness sake. 

My first thought this morning was that I'd rather just pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep for the rest of the day, rather than deal with reality. Preparations for surgery for Zachary, packing things with which to entertain myself during his surgery, a trip to the grocery store for raw throat friendly foods and liquids, and the list goes on. I eventually realized that, curled up in bed avoiding life or not, my ocd-induced anxiety over the next day's procedure and weeks of recovery would still nag me - and being unprepared for the next week or two wouldn't serve any of us well. 

Instead, I will find peace through prayer, and laughter, and faith that God will get us through this. 


________________________________________

Forty Days In Thought, Word, and Deed

Comments

Popular Posts