a successful [moment]

[trigger warning: suicide]

[moment 220]

A friend asked a question on social media that really got me thinking:

What were the things your younger self thought would mean you were successful?

I guess I've always had a different view of success than most people. To me, success was never a bigger house or certain type or number of cars or particular career. 

My idea of success has always been accomplishing what I want to accomplish, not something society tells me is a success. As a teen, I thought that I'd die before reaching adulthood due to health issues, abuse, or suicide ... I came close with all three ... and if I did make it to adulthood, I just wanted to be a mom with a house full of kids.

I think one of the major flaws of society is the thought process that success is defined by owning certain objects or achieving a specific level of formal education or making a particular amount of money. I'd rather think that success is living out your truth- being your authentic self; following your passions; reaching for your dreams; treasuring friendships and relationships; and living love out loud. 

Comments

  1. Always live out loud, love out loud and be yourself out loud. Be true, Be correct for you and love the result.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts