[a moment] to be grateful

[moment 236]

What we thought was going to be a twenty-four hour hospital stay to get iv antibiotics turned into a nearly four day hospital stay involving being on two different antibiotics, steroids, and pain medication for one of my adult children.

I spent a day sitting on a bench outside the emergency room, until I finally realized I was exhausted and in pain and needed to go home before my body crashed. 

The next day, I rearranged some of the week's plans and finally go to visit. We sat and chatted and watched TikToks and NCIS and talked with three different doctors who were still trying it to find out where and what exactly the infection in their neck was.

On day three, Eris came with me and they talked about things I don't understand for a while and then we played UNO and DOS. 

On day four, we got the news that it was discharge day, with treatment to continue at home. There was much rejoicing over finally getting to eat good food, and we stopped for pumpkin spice macchiatos on the way home - and ate the requested meal of Daddy's pasta for dinner.

It was a long week, which left me utterly drained at the end of each day. My body rebelled each night from the amount of sitting on uncomfortable surfaces I'd done and I was so exhausted each evening that I just couldn't stay awake.

I have to admit that on the first day, I returned home frustrated at a lot of things - mostly that I couldn't be with my child to help advocate for them. But as the days progressed and I encountered more and more of the people who were caring for my child, I became increasingly grateful for the attention and care they provided. And I was grateful for the one on one time I got to spend with her, even if she was feeling miserable for much of it. 

And now I'm grateful that she's home and on the mend. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts