[a moment] dealing with ableism


[moment 162]

Oh, how I wish it was only a moment that I had to deal with ableism, but it is all day every day. In our society, we don't look out for the least or the most vulnerable - we do what is deemed best for the strongest, fittest, and wealthiest. 

I spend more time than I'd like in doctor's offices and hospitals, and the number of people who complain about having to wear a mask or intentionally don't wear it properly blows my mind. There are sick people here. People with compromised immune systems. People with cancer and AIDS and autoimmune diseases. Children. Infants. Have some consideration for someone other than yourself.

When I do venture into a store or other public building wearing a mask, I get all sorts of looks and even rude questions from complete strangers who think it's their business as to why I'm wearing a mask. 

One of my children was involved in an activity in which they were the only one wearing a mask, and when asked if they could take the mask off for short periods of time, there seemed to be little understanding on the part of the adults running the activity of why that doesn't work. If fourteen year old can grasp the science of germs, an adult should also be able to grasp the concept of masks protecting people from illness. 

And it's not just masks. I've been told that a lift (single person elevator) wasn't worth fixing because it was just me and my child who needed to use it in a space we frequented several times a week to volunteer. I've been to places that advertise accessible parking, but that's only if you're driving a small vehicle (not a large van like my family) and can navigate yourself across a busy parking lot, up a steep hill, or both. I've been refused accommodations necessary to be able to take in all the information being thrown at me and communicate effectively during a meeting with a group of people - a meeting that was centered on my concerns of ableism in the organization I was meeting with. 

We live in an ableist world. Take a moment or two the next time you're out and about to pay attention to how difficult it might be to navigate where you're walking if you were on crutches, using a walker, or in a wheelchair. Take a moment in your next online meeting or gathering to think about how difficult it would be for someone with auditory processing issues and/or someone who needs time to absorb and process information to be able to fully participate - or participate at all. Take time to think about experiencing the world we all live in through the eyes and ears of someone easily overwhelmed by sensory input. Then take a moment to look at the places you learn and work and worship and volunteer and see if there's something you can do to make them more accessible to everyone. 

Comments

Popular Posts