[Nevertheless] We're Old


Wasn't it just yesterday that we were 19, making mix tapes, and hoping for forever?

I turned forty-four three days ago. For those three days, my loving husband took it upon himself to brag that I was so much older than him - him being born in a completely different year and all. Today is his forty-fourth birthday, the old man. 


I don't mind being forty-four. I would love to be seventy-four. Or fifty-four. I'm not sure I'll be that privileged. I'd love to grow old with my husband. I'm not sure I'll be that lucky. 

Nevertheless, I will celebrate each birthday - each year, each month, each day that I get to live on this earth. And every day that I get to share with my husband, my children, my family, my friends, and everyone I encounter. Even the pain-laden days, the lonely days, the difficult days - because even the darkest of days holds the treasure of goodness and kindness at its core. Because every day is worth living...and hoping for forever. 

Comments

Popular Posts