[Nevertheless] We Say Uncomfortable Things


As a teenager, I was mortified to say certain words - words having to do with sex, body parts associated with sex, even an alternate word for donkey when playing a board game with family. Many times over the years, especially after becoming a parent myself, I didn't feel prepared to say certain words, but did so as one must as a parent. 

There are so many words that I probably wouldn't have even known at sixteen. But alas, we are in the internet age, and my children, although homeschooled, aren't sheltered. We talk about sex, drug addiction, suicide, self-harm, and all the things. Coming from a history of sexual abuse, I'd rather my children be confident in their use of words about body parts, sexual acts, and the like so that should something happen, they not only have the proper vocabulary, but aren't embarrased to use it. And I'd love for them to be able to have conversations about sex with their future sexual partners without feeling they're somehow discussing (or doing) something secretive or wrong.

I'm now the mom of four teens and a tween...and half the time an extra teen or two. And there's this game my older teens enjoy that is very much unlike Trivial Pursuit or any game I played as a teen. Cards Against Humanity, for those not familiar, is a fill-in-the-blank type card game. It's a completely inappropriate fill-in-the-blank type card game full of sexual references and outrageous concepts. This game can be enhanced through the use of bonus packs of cards such as the Internet Pack, Geek Pack, or Pride Pack (with or without glitter). It's a game full of normal words, movie references, and more ... and words that might make people uncomfortable at best. (Only "mild" cards posted here!)


Nevertheless, discomfort is just part of the game - and our existence. Once you get past some of the more shocking or embarrassing cards - and your own personal hang-ups - the game is hilarious. And if the side effect of playing this game is not only making great memories with a bunch of great people, but a greater ability to communicate with the young adults in my life, so be it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts