A Visit From St. Nicholas





'Twas the night before St. Nicholas Day and all through the house,
everyone was stirring, even the cat and toy mouse. 
The stockings were hung by the tv with care
in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.
The children were tossing and turning in bed
while I made donuts, Christmas songs stuck in my head.
Dad went upstairs, "Children don't make a peep!"
While I just wondered when they'd finally sleep.
We all must have drifted, we all must have dreamed.
Then a little one's feet were so cold that I screamed.
"What are you doing? Why are you in my bed?"
"It's St. Nicholas Day! Look!" little Alia said.

The stockings were plump, they'd been filled in the night.
"Alia look out the window, it's not even light!"
Off the bed Alia sprang saying, "Now don't you worry!
I'll be back with my sister and brothers in a hurry!"
She fell back to sleep, and about that I'm glad.
But I lay awake, not a wink of sleep to be had.
Not too much longer and the alarm it did sound.
Then down the stairs Haley came with a bound.
Daddy made coffee, we waited, and soon
The other children awoke. Then filling the room
With excited chatter and St. Nicholas Day cheer,
They opened their stockings and made it clear -
Their gifts were awesome, too good to be true:
Tickets to Straight No Chaser and chocolate coins too!
Except for Alex, who to the movies will go
With Daddy while the rest of us attend the SNC show.
St. Nicholas thank you for the opportunity
to make awesome memories with our family.
We sat down to breakfast, gave thanks and then
Ended our morning festivities with a great big Amen!



Comments

Popular Posts