Eighteen


Eighteen years ago it snowed. Not too much to be concerning or impede driving, but enough to cover the ground and provide a wonderful view from my hospital room window.

Eighteen years ago I thought he might die.

Eighteen years ago I spent that first night in the hospital, nurses not believing me for hours and hours that I was truly in labor. He emerged from my body gray and lifeless. My heart nearly stopped, waiting to know if he would be ok. Lifesaving suction and resuscitation yielded heart-melting cries. Allowed only a quick kiss before he was whisked to Special Care, my heart left the room with him.


He is now, technically, and adult. I have to admit this freaks me out a bit. Sometime soon, he could decide to move out on his own. He'll definitely take a piece of my heart with him when that happens. 

But I don't have to worry about that too soon. He says he's never leaving. That's OK with me at the moment. I need someone around to reach the too high things. 

I feel so blessed to be Alexander's mother. He has been one of my greatest teachers in life, and one of my biggest blessings.

Alex has matured incredibly over the past year. He has graduated from homeschool student to teacher at our homeschool co-op, teaching Creative Writing this Winter Session. This is amazing to me, considering less than six years ago, he did not write. Dysgraphia still challenges him today, but he doesn't let it hinder him. Inspired by a Fan Fiction class that I may or may not have pushed him into taking when he was 12 years old, he began to write His amazing creativity splashed little by little onto page after page. This child who would read at fifth grade level at age five, but struggled to write a single sentence at twelve began producing much labored over paragraphs full of plot twists, humor, and drama. And now he'll be the teacher.

How have the eighteen years gone so fast? People warned me it would happen. Eighteen years ago it was difficult to believe. Now, not so much.

Alex,As you enter adulthood, I hope you remember these eighteen things:1. Be patient.2. Be kind.3. Hug your mother.4. You can do anything you set your mind to if you work hard. 5. Hard work is a good thing.6. Whenever you're bored, get to work on accomplishing a dream or creating something amazing.7. Talk to your parents, grandparents, friends, etc. about what you hope to accomplish, take in their words of wisdom, and move forward with what works for you.8. Set goals and make a plan to reach it.9. Be flexible ... don't let a bump in the road end forward momentum.10. Don't forget to have fun.11. Learn to cook things you like to eat (and remind your mother to buy the ingredients!).12. Get a job. Really. It will be good for you. 13. Work towards getting a job that you love - one that is more calling then work. 14. Learn to manage your money well. 15. Give what you can, when you can, of your money, time, and talents. 16. Volunteer somewhere that feeds your soul. Work of the heart is as important as work for pay.17. Watch more Christmas movies with your mother. It's good for you. I promise.18. Always remember ... I love you!


Comments

Popular Posts