Hibernation

 As snow piled on top of snow, pain piled on top of pain. As the blizzard blew mountains of snow outside, pain blanketed my dreams until sleep became impossible. My body doesn't like storms. 
 
Awake shortly after three, I gave in and got up shortly before 4:30 to find the world had undergone quite the transformation while I was attempting sleep. Peace enveloped me as the snow swirled past the window and I sat for a while, transfixed.

Returning to bed in hopes that pain would give in to sleep, I soon discovered it was not to be. Up again, I took my meds and made some rather strong coffee after taking a pound of bacon out of the freezer. My alarm sounded as I poured my first cup of the day. 

Soon children descended the stairs, excited to see what the night blizzard had brought them. Two were into snow clothes and out the door before even contemplating breakfast.

Back in bed, coffee in hand, I settled in to check to see how friends and family were weathering the storm. 

I've spent most of the day in my bed resting, reading, watching episodes of the original 21 Jump Street, meditating, attempting to nap, and wandering the world wide web. A year or two ago, this would have driven me crazy. There are so many things I could be doing around the house - so much work to be done. Today I realize that the most important thing is to take care of myself. Not that I didn't have a moment or two of panic about what I need to do to prep for tomorrow, but  on the whole I've done well taking a day to hibernate.  

Hopefully sleep will come tonight and I'll wake up feeling a little more human and ready to enjoy this Winter wonderland while it lasts. 


Comments

Popular Posts