[Nevertheless] We Fast


I'm supposed to be taking four teens to the movies in an hour. I'm still in my pajamas. One teen has showered (and vacuumed his room), one is in the shower, one has emerged from and then returned to her room, and one has yet to make an appearance. It seems only one of us is motivated to get their act together today.

I am motivated by popcorn. Movie theater popcorn is my nemesis, especially when I'm trying to lower my carbohydrate intake. I'd give it up for Lent, but I'm fairly sure God doesn't want me to suffer so greatly. 

We'll be taking about fasting at Tuesday Night Sunday School tonight. I don't usually fast from a particular food during Lent. I fast from other things - from judging myself and others, from worry and pessimism, from saying yes when I need to say no, from saying no when I could just as easily say yes. 

I prune thought patterns and actions that take away from who God wants me to be in an effort to emerge from Lent a better person. 

Comments

Popular Posts