[Nevertheless] I Emerge


The first three months of the year are usually incredibly difficult for me. Seasonal Affective Disorder eats away at my mental and emotional state, leaving me yearning for the light and new life of Spring. I've had my struggles this past Winter, especially with what I've been going through personally and medically. Nevertheless, this year I didn't sink too far into the depths of depression.

I believe a lot of that was due to getting out of my house and into nature every weekend. The fresh air and quality time spent with my husband, children, and friends is invaluable. Taking in the beauty of God's creation and seeing green life among all the brown, white, and gray naturally boosts my spirits. 

It helps that in the process of enjoying hikes, I am also reaping the benefits of exercise and boosting my confidence in my body. Hiking is anything but an easy or laid back experience for me, as I need to monitor my body constantly so I don't overheat, experience tachycardia, or dislocate something. It is hard on my body, and at times my mind as I deal not only with my physical issues, but with associated fears. 

Nevertheless I emerge in a better place afterward. With each hike, I'm able to prune away fear and doubt in order to look forward to new adventures. 

Comments

Popular Posts