[Nevertheless] I Felt Compelled


One of my favorite gluten free bakeries advertised on social media that they'd have keto cupcakes available beginning at 8AM the next day. I was intrigued. And I wanted a cupcake. I tagged my husband in the post asking if this could be a thing, especially if there was a nearby hike that would justify the longish drive to the bakery. 

He gave me two options - a short, easy hike, or the steep hike up Talcott Mountain to Heublein Tower. 

We had discussed the Heublein Tower hike as the goal hike - the hike I want to work my way up to, the one I'd like to be able to accomplish in the Fall. It's a half mile of steep trail followed by a mile along the ridge to the tower...and then a winding, rocky trail back to the steep trail down to the parking area. 

Steep hills are my greatest hiking fear. Going up the relatively short steep hill at Sessions Woods, I have experienced tachycardia, so multiplying that by five is incredibly daunting. Nevertheless, I felt compelled to do the Heublein Tower hike. 

Jim was a bit concerned with the outdoor temperature predicted for the time of the hike. Twenty-nine degree weather isn't his idea of good hiking conditions. If it was too cold, we wouldn't go, I told him. 

The next morning, I was slow to rise, but was ready approximately when we said we'd leave. We were both hemming and hawing about whether or not we'd go. It was cold, after all, but sunny. And I wanted a cupcake. So we put on our hiking clothes and gathered our hiking stuff just in case. 

On the way to the bakery, we passed another potential hiking spot. I considered giving this new place a go on the way home, but still, I felt compelled to attempt Heublein. And after purchasing and consuming our treats, we once again discussed options, and Heublein was still where I felt I needed to hike. What was the worst that could happen? I'd get part way up, decide my body wasn't up to it, and hike back down. 

And so we hiked.


We stopped a lot on our way up, both out of necessity and to take pictures.


We talked about how hiking for me can be both physically and mentally challenging. 

And when we made it to the point where I knew I'd make it to the top, I nearly cried. 

I accomplished something I thought would take me months more to work up to. I wasn't fast, and it was by no means easy, but I made it. We made it - to the top, then another mile along the ridge to the tower. 



And then, not being ones to go back the way we came if there's an alternate route, we ventured down a different trail which brought us higher up on the ridge before wending its way back down the mountain.

At one point, we had an 'oh my' moment, but managed ok.


Two things are for sure - both Jim and I were grateful to be back at the van after the knee-and lower back- straining steep hike down the hill, and I am thankful that I followed my compulsion to attempt what I thought was impossible and emerge more confident in my body and my abilities.


Comments

Popular Posts