[Nevertheless] Help Shoulder the Load


The New Start Ministry, a refugee resettlement ministry with which I volunteer, will hopefully soon be welcoming a new refugee family. Having volunteered with this organization previously, I am aware of the work and time involved in the Social Security and Department of Social Services aspects of which I am in charge. 

When I signed up for another adventure in refugee resettlement, I had no idea what life would have in store for me. My health has been quite a rollercoaster ride as of late. Alia has been experiencing more complications due to her hEDS (hypermobility type Ehlers Danlos Syndrome). My husband and I have been working on our marriage as well as dealing with the impact of his unemployment. I have been struggling to find balance with this new and ever-changing normal. 

And then there's this big old branch of uncertainty that is when the refugees will arrive, whether or not the proper paperwork will arrive with them, and the all the other what-ifs that go along with the process looming before me. 

Thankfully, I'm not on my own this time. I have a partner who will share the burden with me, taking on some of the work and responsibility. Just having someone with me while at the appointments, who can deal with issues while I'm on vacation or otherwise unavailable, lifts a great weight off my shoulders. While I love being part of this ministry and feel called to do so, the uncertainty of the timeline combined with all the other uncertainties in my life can feel daunting. Nevertheless, God provides people to help shoulder the load. 

How wonderful life would be if more people would feel the inspiration to help others, whether in big ways or small. Often, just knowing that there is an offer of assistance when needed makes a task less cumbersome. And having a team of people supporting you and appreciating your work, like New Start does for me, helps, too.

Comments

Popular Posts