[Nevertheless] Those People Are


Often, when reading through social media posts, I come across people saying negative things about "other" people - you know, "those" people who are different from you in some way shape or form, or have been through or are going through something you've never experienced. Many times, these "others" are being blamed for something or put down in some way - people on welfare, LGBTQ people, people with mental health issues, people with disabilities, Christians, people who have gotten or considered an abortion, people who have claimed sexual abuse or rape, people who are/were suicidal.

You may think that those people are others, nevertheless, I need you to understand that "those people" are me.

My family gets state health insurance and supplemental nutrition assistance due to the fact that I am unable to work and do not qualify for disability because I chose to be a stay at home parent and then became too ill to work.
I am pansexual. Yes, I'm married to a man, but I'm still queer. 
I have depression and anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and dissociative identity disorder.
I am disabled due to multiple chronic illnesses: psoriatic arthritis/spondylitis, hEDS, hypothyroidism, secondary adrenal insufficiency, and liver disease.
I am a Christian. A Christian who believes that love your neighbor means ALL your neighbors - your Muslim/Pagan/Jewish, transgender, Republican/Democrat, prisoner, homeless, hippie, or fruititarian neighbor.
I was sexually abused and raped as a teen ... and when I thought I was pregnant as a result, did consider abortion, as I couldn't imagine carrying a reminder of such a horrific experience for nine months, loving the baby afterward, or giving the baby up for adoption afterward, or making it through the pregnancy without killing myself. 
I have attempted suicide, and have had thoughts of suicide at various times throughout my life. 

So next time you choose to talk about "those people," try substituting my name and see how it feels. It is my hope that, in doing so, you can connect with compassion and let go of judgment. 

Try feeling kindness toward people who are struggling. Please give the benefit of the doubt as to people's intentions and err on the side of love, always. In most cases, "those people" include people you know ... people you care about. And if it still feels ok to you to put down or hate that group of people, then I pray you never get a rude awakening by become one of "them." 




Comments

Popular Posts