Thirst

I have an overwhelming thirst. A few weeks ago, it was an actual thirst- I drank glass after glass of water and was still thirsty. I couldn't drink enough water to slake my thirst. Migraines do that to me. 

Lately I've come to the realization that I have a different type of thirst. I have an overwhelming thirst for a day to myself. A day to enjoy silence. To rest. To not have to think about anyone or anything. 

A day to just be. Not to be mom, or wife, or housekeeper, or teacher, or medical director, or knower-of-where-everything-is-in-the-house. 

A day during which I don't have to answer questions, cater to anyone else's needs, or mold my day to suit others' preferences. 

A day to nourish my body with the foods I crave and my soul with the words I need to hear. 


A day when my prayers rise before me as incense. A day to be in conversation with God and have the stillness to be able to listen for a reply. 

If not a day, perhaps I can find an hour, a moment, a breath, when I can be in silence, in prayer, in stillness, in a place where I can feel the touch of the Spirit and the current of the Living Water running through my life, that my thirst might be slaked, and my soul at peace. 

Comments

Popular Posts