To Thank God [ADVENTure Thirteen]


As soon as I read this, a prayer which was on a poster above my sister's bed when we were growing up sprang to mind...

Thank you, God, for each new day you give to me,
For earth and sky and sand and sea,
For rainbows after springtime showers, autumn leaves, and summer flowers,
Winter snowscapes so serene, harvest fields of gold and green,
Beauty shining all around, lilac scent and robin sound,
Stars that twinkle high above, and all the people that I love.
Amen.

I taught this prayer to my children, who at one point would act it out and add sound effects. Praying a prayer of thanksgiving is always important, especially in tough times when we find ourselves praying prayers of need and of want. My thank you to God would go something like this:

Thank you, God, for each new day I get to live
For the ability to help, love, learn, and give;
For community coming together to help each other:
Refugees, homeless, addicts, and others.
Long hot showers so serene, and a house that's fairly clean,
Your light shining all around, through us your love and grace abound;
Accepting others for who they are; and for loved ones near and far.
Amen

Comments

Popular Posts