ADVENTures in a Jar


Each Advent, my family has some sort of Advent calendar. For years, I've created Advent calendars with different ADVENTures for my family to do each day. Some were more elaborate ... boxes or bags with clues to activities, prayers, trinkets, and treats. Last year consisted of a clothespin wreath with clipped on papers containing a bible verse and act of kindness. 

This year, I'm tired. 

This year, Advent comes to us in a jar. 

Our Tuesday Night Sunday School put together Mason Jar Advent jars from saltproject.org. I printed out the provided tags, and we cut them out, punched a hole in each one, attached a ribbon or string, and put them in a mason jar. I tried not to read too many of the tags, so I'll be as surprised as the rest of my family about what each tag tells us to do. I'm excited to see what our Advent has in store.

My goal is to blog about our ADVENTures each day of Advent, but considering the first week of Advent is also tech week for Stoops, a play in which my sixteen year old is acting (and I'm helping), I'm not sure I'll get off to too good of a start. 

This Advent, I intend...

...to live more in the moment, taking it all in with my five senses, embracing the emotions of the season, and spending more time engaged with friends and family.

... to take time each day to write and reflect, to meditate and pray, and to prepare healthy food for myself and my family.

... to focus on waiting not wanting; giving not getting; the holy day rather than the holiday. 

... to embrace discomfort in order to reach out to more people, do more good, and expand my horizons. 

... to remember to take care of myself, to rest, to find balance, and to breathe.


Comments

Popular Posts