To Share Warmth [ADVENTure Eight]


My family's answers to this question varied from building a snow fort or sled run to staying warm inside watching movies and drinking hot chocolate. I'm sure many would have the same favorite snow day activities. 


Shortly after choosing this ticket from our jar, I left to attend the funeral of a twenty year old friend's mother. Sitting in the funeral parlor, I thought about all the people in our communities whose snow day activities are consumed with struggling to find shelter and warmth. What a blessing that Sara has friends to take care of her after her mother's death... loving her, giving her safe places to stay, making sure she has food to eat, and helping her on the road to gain independence.

On my way home, I found my mind wandering to two winters ago, when a refugee family from Syria arrived on a cold January day, soon to experience their first American snowfall. New Stary Ministry provided them with a safe, warm apartment, life's necessities, and winter-appropriate clothing so that their first snowy experience here would be a positive one. 


There are many things we can do to help others have good memories of snow days. So the next time snow falls, wrap yourself in a blanket of gratitude for warmth, shelter, love, and safety. And perhaps help someone else have those things as well. 









Comments

Popular Posts