[the moment] you realize what it looks like

[moment 124]

I love my bone conduction headphones. They don't cover/block my ears and I can hear whatever it is that I'm listening to more clearly with them. They are also handy while driving - I can hear my phone's GPS giving me directions without interrupting the music playing through the van's speakers. 

However, life gets interesting when I forget that I'm the only one hearing my phone reading my voicemails to me or reminding me of something or receiving a call. Or when other people don't realize I'm wearing them and it appears that I'm talking to myself. 

Imagine walking into a room where someone is sorting a bin of childhood books into different age groups, and at the same time apparently talking to themself about heart rates and echocardiograms and syncope. And they don't appear eager to respond to you when you say hi. And this is your first in-person impression of them.

Then this person reaches up and touches their ear and finally looks up with you and says hi. A strange look then goes across the person's face the moment they realize that all of that must have looked like - and then they stumble over their words trying to explain that they were on a call with their child's cardiologist, even though their phone isn't within reach and it doesn't appear they're wearing anything because their hair is covering the headphones.

Not that I have any experience with this.

Comments

Popular Posts