[Nevertheless] There is Winter Hike Haiku


What do you do after a hike in the snow when you're exhausted, extremely sore, and possibly losing your mind a little? I don't know what you do, but apparently I write haiku on Facebook.


Hiking in the snow is amazing. It was a lovely 45 degrees, incredibly quiet and serene, and breathtakingly beautiful along the Heron Pond and Boulder Field trails at White Memorial in Litchfield, CT. 

We encountered friendly people and friendlier dogs along the way, but most of the time it was just my husband and I, walking, talking, and taking pictures. 


Hiking in the snow is more work than hiking without snow. Even more difficult is crutching in the snow, in the woods, on uneven terrain, ice, and while one's feet - or crutches ... or both - are slipping and sliding. My arms definitely got a bigger workout than normal, as I either had to lift my crutches higher than normal to clear the top of the snow, or deal with the drag from the snow on the crutches. As always, it was totally worth it. 






I am ever-thankful for these blessed moments with my husband, away from the chaos of our lives and the world. 



Comments

Popular Posts