[Nevertheless] Little Things Make a Big Difference


To say I was less than enthusiastic about getting out of bed this morning is an understatement. My neck pain alone was overwhelming. But alas, I drank a lot of water during the night and, well, you know. My husband, Jim, helped me out of bed and I shuffled my way to the bathroom. Upon my return to my nice, warm bed, Jim climbed into bed with me to snuggle. The intense pain was still there, but made more bearable by this loving gesture. 

That seemingly small act of love transformed what began as a miserable morning into something wonderful. It helped set the tone for the day. Instead of wallowing in pain, it encouraged my mood and filled me with peace. 

Not long after we began cuddling, my mind clunked into gear, thinking of all the things that needed to be done today. Netflix dvds needed to go to the mailbox, so Jim headed out to do so. Upon his return, he encouraged me to eat and take my medications and supplements  I tend to forget about this most important part of my day, my nausea upon waking banishing thoughts of breakfast.

Mismatched music filled the room as I quickly scrolled through facebook and began my to do list for the day - a Polish folk tune flowed into a Paper Kites song, eventually somehow leading to "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy."

Needing to make sure the plumbing coming from the bathtub drain that my husband fixed over the weekend was no longer leaking, my husband encouraged me out of bed once again and into the shower. As we both got ready for the day, we chatted about our upcoming date night, plans for the weekend, and little things that go into functioning as a family.

We kissed goodbye and he headed out the door to work, only to return a moment later asking if I could move my van, as I'd parked him into the driveway. Again, I was prodded by mundanity to get moving. I grabbed my sweater and purse and headed to my van, figuring I should run errands since I was going out the door anyway.

Had I stayed in bed this morning, wallowing in painful misery, my day would have turned out much differently. Nevertheless, simple acts of love and kindness conspired with mundane necessities to provide for a lovely morning.

Comments

Popular Posts