Ruth-full


Oh, Ruth! How we all need Ruths in our lives!

Naomi looses two sons and a husband. She heads for the home she left when she married to start over, her two daughters-in-law with her. Along the way, she comes to the realization that her daughters-in-law would do better to go home to their mothers, as they would be able to find new husbands and have new families with them. One daughter-in-law turns back, but not Ruth:
But Ruth said, “Don’t force me to leave you; don’t make me go home. Where you go, I go; and where you live, I’ll live. Your people are my people, your God is my god; where you die, I’ll die, and that’s where I’ll be buried, so help me God—not even death itself is going to come between us!" Ruth 1:16-17
We are blessed with the Ruths of the world - those who point us toward the positive; those who stick with us through thick and thin; those who see the Love all around us; those who assure us everything will be alright somehow. There are Ruths who come into our lives just when we need them, pointing us in the right direction, saying the right words at the right time, or helping us let go of what is weighing us down so we can move forward. 

One of the Ruths in my life is my friend Renee. We've known each other for over twenty years, when our (former) roomates decided to move in with each other and we were made roomates by default. This was one of the best things to ever happen in my life. Over and over again, Renee has been there for me. She has helped me through some of the darkest moments of my life. She has stuck with me even when I was a horrible, non communicative, sorry excuse for a friend - when, like Naomi, I couldn't see or feel the love, the hope, the good things to come. I love her and value her friendship more than I can express.

It is my hope that I can find ways to be a Ruth for others ... and to aptly celebrate and thank the Ruths in my life. 

Comments

Popular Posts