Feeling Small




She was talking about the frustrations of being a stay at home mom. Her issues had nothing to do with noisy, rambunctious children or never-ending housework. It had to do with the transition from working to staying home and the sudden feeling that she had somehow lost a great deal of her significance. She was feeling small and unimportant. 

I've felt this way, too. Not only am I "only" a stay at home mom, but I also have multiple autoimmune illnesses that make me feel like a non-functional, overtired, overly-cranky, doesn't do nearly enough with her children stay at home mom. A mom who is always at one appointment or another, sick from disease or medication or a combination, and tired...always tired. Did I mention tired? Oh, and absent-minded, too. Very. I've felt like I could do more and be more for my children. I felt the need to contribute more to the world than just raise my kids. Do something important. Be something important. 



In a moment of stillness amidst the self-doubt, I realized something. I am the most important person in the lives of my child. I birthed them, breastfed them, and have been there for every major injury to body, mind, and spirit. I have bandaged, talked, and soothed. I've nurtured bodies, minds, and souls. That, in an of itself, should be enough. Being a mother is something great.


So I pointed out to this feeling-small friend that she, too, is great. She is a mother, a teacher, a counselor, and a comfort to her children. She is a volunteer, serving her community. She is a leader to her family and their source of peace.

"What's so great about that?" she asked, still feeling small.

Let me tell you a story...
There was this guy from this small village. He grew up and, instead of taking on a traditional job, made his life's work helping others. He taught His children right from wrong, how to live lives of love and grace. He tended to the sick. He helped the troubled. He was a great leader because of the small, yet very important things he did, just as much as due to the big things he accomplished. He was, and continues to be, a great leader and a source of peace for all His children. 

"Who is this guy? He sounds awesome!" 

He is awesome. You are, too. 

But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah,are only a small village among all the people of Judah.Yet a ruler of Israel,whose origins are in the distant past,will come from you on my behalf.The people of Israel will be abandoned to their enemies until the woman in labor gives birth. Then at last his fellow countrymen will return from exile to their own land. And he will stand to lead his flock with the Lord’s strength, in the majesty of the name of the Lord his God. Then his people will live there undisturbed, for he will be highly honored around the world. And he will be the source of peace. Micah 5:2-5

Out of a small village comes a great leader to His family, their source of peace.

Comments

Popular Posts