[reason 247] sunsets

 Some days, I adore the sunset because it's beautiful.

Other days, I love the setting sun because it means I'm closer to the end of another difficult day. 

Mostly I love sunsets because, for a few moments I'm enchanted by the beauty, and life's stresses and worries can't penetrate the holiness of those moments. 

Life's been difficult for many of my children lately. I haven't been doing so hot myself. As much as I want to jump in and do and fix and be ... sometimes all I can do is sit with them and let them know I'm here. Sometimes all I can do is write things and hope they read them, reminded of the mom that loves and cares about them. Most of the time I feel helpless to do or be or say anything, because I know my words and actions can make things even worse. Navigating insurance companies and mental health providers in order to get needed care is nearly impossible. The hoops one is expected to jump through to get to the point where they're getting proper care are ridiculous. The stresses on our young people to do and be and be out on their own are unrealistic. The expectations many of us have of our partners and our loved ones are often unreasonable. 

But in those few moments when the sun dips toward the horizon, all that disappears for just a few moments. There is time to exhale. To be done with the day. To have hope for tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts