[reason 60] artifacts

I've been going through photos and mementos, organizing things as bests I can into albums and keepsake boxes. One item I came across I'd completely forgot about - a "contract" my husband signed right after we got engaged. We were both twenty years old and unsure of how our parents would take the news. I was slightly more confident that my parents wouldn't freak out (to my face), as my sister married a guy from New Zealand with whom she'd spent very little time with in the both of them being in the same country at the same time sense. 

And, if you read the above, you can also tell that my then future husband was so committed to making me happy and supporting my dreams of being a mother that he put in writing his promise to do the most horrendous of tasks - changing diapers. 

He certainly couldn't have predicted that less than five years later he would not only be changing diapers, but rinsing out dirty cloth diapers by hand. 

I love coming across things like this, not only because they're amusing, but because I remember knowing that this was the path I was supposed to be on even though I knew it was a bit insane (and I was a bit insane), even though our parents might not take the news too well (did I mention we got married less than a year later?), and even though at the time we had nothing more than a ring and a prayer. 

Comments

  1. Ours told me to get a job, and her to find some one who had a job. I had a job, but i was in college, while no such note exists here it might have helped at SHeryl's house. It clearly would have gone over like a lead balloon on mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts