[Nevertheless] It Was a Glorious Day


Our first younger-child-free morning began at 4:00AM, as requested by Zephyr and Finn, who are camping with us at Camp Calumet for the week. 

Arriving at the beach, we were greeted by a glassy lake and pastel sky. 

Pushing off from shore, I gave thanks to God for this morning, this peace, and these people with whom I get to share life's adventures - these amazing people that I get to claim as family by blood or by choice. 


As we paddled our kayaks further out onto the lake, joy washed over me. This is where I love to be. This is what I love to do. This is my sanctuary. 

Sun now above the horizon, we returned to shore and to the campsite to prepare for the day. 

After a delicious breakfast and inspiring Bible Study, Jim and I decided a hike was in order before lunch. The teenagers opted for sleep. 

Heading up the steep trail to Jackman Ridge, anxiety threatened to dim my spirit. Would I be able to make it to the top without stopping several times? How much worse would it be than in previous years? 


Transforming panic into perseverance, I pushed forward and only stopped twice, briefly, to catch my breath on the way up. Once we made it to the top, the rest of the hike was easy. Hike number eighteen of the year complete!

Returning to our campsite, a simple lunch of sandwiches tasted superb. 

Thoroughly exhausted, I retreated to our tent to read a book and take a short nap. Rested and revived, we headed to the Camp Store for a treat and good conversation. 

Before we knew it, it was time for a delicious grilled pork loin dinner, followed by Bingo in the Big Top Tent. 

My body resisted relaxation as I attempted sleep, and I may pay for it for the next few days, nevertheless it was a glorious day.





Comments

Popular Posts