[Nevertheless] Every Step Counts


Arriving home from Camp Calumet, I had little time to rest before jumping back into "real life." After spending most of the day nursing a massive headache while trying to do laundry, I admit that I was sad to be home and wishing we were able to spend a second week of vacation at Calumet as originally planned. 

Then I made my way to my weekly New Start Ministry (refugee resettlement) meeting. I parked fairly far from the building so I could get more steps in toward mileage for Camp Calumet's Reach the Beach Walk fundraiser. The meeting went well, and on my scenic drive home, I said aloud, to God and to myself, "that's why I'm home." The family we are resettling arrives in just a couple weeks and there are things to do to prepare - and I need to be home to get things in order in my life and for the family before their arrival. 

Tuesday I had physical therapy for my hip in the morning, ran some errands and went to a movie with Coren, and then went on a four mile hike with my husband before coming home and making dinner. Over six miles logged for the Walk, I felt I had a productive day, despite a migraine that wouldn't let go.

Wednesday I was down for the count. My neck in severe pain and my migraine off the charts, it was all I could do to get dishes done and do a little more unpacking. I began to stress about not getting steps in, not getting anywhere near my goal for the day. 

And then I thought about the fact that I did physical therapy and errands and a hike that was over four miles long all in the same day just the day before, when some days just physical therapy or just a trip to the grocery store is too much for my body. Life with adrenal insufficiency, autoimmune arthritis, and other health issues is definitely a rollercoaster of good days and bad. 

Yes, the miles count towards the larger goal of raising money for an amazing place, nevertheless, every step, even if it's just a few hundred, counts, too. Some days will be six mile days, and I will celebrate those days. But I shouldn't celebrate the hundreds of steps days any less, as they mean I'm able to get out of bed, which some days is a challenge.


Comments

Popular Posts