[Seek] Quarancamp


When I think of Camp Calumet, I think of driving onto the property and breathing a sigh of contentment and peace. I think of setting up our tents and our flags and waving at and chatting with people as they drive or walk by. I imagine all the people camping, dropping their children off for camp, the counselors, CITs, and staff ... all with smiles on their faces and kindness in their hearts. I look forward to walking across the street to the beach, early morning kayaking on the lake, and trips to the camp store for treats. I envision time with my husband, with my parents, and with my children.

This year Calumet looked different. A lot different.



There was no Resident Camp or Day Camp. There were just a few campers peppering the family campground. Minimal staff were at Camp, and the check-in process was via email. 

Needing to self-quarantine for fourteen days before our time at camp excluded my husband from joining us at Camp, as we couldn't afford for him to take three weeks off from work. Two children opted to stay home, so I ended up taking four children, ages 12-19, to Calumet. Family Camp restrooms not open, tent camping was not a possibility, so Calumet set us up in Girls Cabin 6 at Resident Camp. Lake Ossipee was just across the way from our cabin. The bathroom we were assigned to was five cabins away. Family Camp beach was just down the beach from our cabin. 
 

This was to be a completely different camp experience.

I went into this trip questioning my sanity and my body's ability to make it through the drive, seven days of keeping everyone entertained, and the drive home. I packed more food than we could possibly eat in a week, panic bought a mini fridge and memory foam for my bed, and forgot just about as many things as I packed. 

 

During our camp experience, we rested while it rained; we swam; we made several trips to the store, forgetting things each time and buying even more food; we tie dyed all the things; we attempted to vanquish the wompous to no avail; I read two books; we watched the filming of livestreams for the One Day Campaign; we took a trip to the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center; we ate good food; we made lots of cheesy taco dip; we had ice cream for lunch ... twice; we rejoiced at the sight of blue skies; I watched Calumet's livestream of Holden Evening Prayer while sitting on the beach - and while the children swam with ducks; and spent many a morning sitting on the beach, enjoying the peace of the place. We had a couple movie nights; a campfire with friends and family (with social distancing); and made some TikToks so that Coren could see what we were up to throughout the week. We began our Reach the Beach Walk with a Jackman Ridge hike. 
 
 


It wasn't our usual Camp Calumet experience, nevertheless, we had a wonderful time at Camp! Waking up to the lake every morning was priceless. The peace and calm and time for rest and relaxation were just what was needed. Camp quarantine ... Quarancamp ... with four amazing young people who made the best out of a rainy week was a unique experience I'll treasure always. 


Comments

Popular Posts