[Seek] Peace in the Struggle

[Lent 3]

In his concern for my physical and mental health, my husband told me I do too much, overdo it constantly. Between activities at church, at Epoch Arts, homeschool adventures, doctor appointments, shuttling children around, helping friends, I rarely have much downtime. When I do, I'm in bed, exhausted and recovering or resting up in preparation for another busy day.

Perhaps if I let go of some activities, my health would improve, pain lessen, even if just a bit.

If only it was that simple. I have taken days, weeks off. I've spent days in bed, completely overdoing rest and relaxation, causing my body to seize up, energy levels to plummet even further. It can take days, if not weeks, to recuperate from too much time spent in bed. 

There is no finding balance between activity and rest, and so I seek peace in the struggle to navigate life with chronic illness. I find peace in each stitch of a costume, in the delight of a painter at their creation; in well-nourished bodies and spirits; in providing what I can, when I can, for my family, friends, and community. The pain and exhaustion remain constant, but so does the love and hope. 

Comments

Popular Posts