Cucumbers, But That's Not What They're Called


Once upon a time there was a girl who was making a salad at her parents’ house. Having used up the last of one of the salad vegetables, she wished to inform her mother of the need to purchase more upon her next trip to the market. The girl approached her mother and said, “We need more … … … cucumbers, but that’s not what they’re called.” Receiving a quizzical look in response, the girl continued, “You know, they’re orange and they grow in the ground and rabbits eat them.” “Carrots?” inquired her mother. “Yes- those,” replied the girl.


All those years ago, I had no idea this would become normal behavior for me. Brain fog adds great fun and excitement to life. It’s like being on your own game show where you’re both the host and the contestant – “We now welcome you to “What’s That Word?!? – a game show of slow thinking and tip-of-the-tongue responses!” You know what you want to say. You can picture it. You can describe it in great detail - but the actual word for the object eludes you completely. You've driven somewhere hundreds of times, but all of a sudden you're on the highway and have no idea how to get there - or sometimes even where you are, all of a sudden. You find yourself asking, "What was I doing?" or "What was I saying?" on a regular basis.

For example, as I was writing that last sentence, my husband interrupted me with a question. The words "You find yourself asking," were on the screen and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was that you find yourself asking. Then I asked myself, "What was I typing?" and it came to me. Fantastic, isn't it?

I made the comment earlier today after my train of thought derailed for the tenth time in two minutes that I was losing my mind. My husband told me it was too late. Oh, well. Perhaps I'll find where I left it someday - if I can remember to look for it.

And they lived happily ever after.


(You might be experiencing brain fog if you're trying to figure out why I ended the post with "And they lived happily ever after." It perhaps might be because I started it with "Once upon a time." )

Comments

Popular Posts