[reason 174] warmth

 
For the past two nights, it's been a tad chilly here at Camp Calumet. We're sleeping in a tent, so whatever temperature it is outside, it's about the same inside. It's been cold.

Night one, I woke up shivering, checked on the rest of our group, and decided the following:

  • Two of the four of us brought heavy enough blankets, and I'd given two of my blankets away to the two others before we even went to bed.
  • The two other people were sleeping fitfully and seemed to be trying to make covers that weren't keeping them warm somehow keep them warm. 
  • I needed to do something about this.
I ransacked our van and our bins of yet to be unpacked belongings and gathered anything that resembled a blanket - large beach towels, a bottom sheet that is on the heavier side, a tablecloth - and draped them over the two restless sleepers, who soon settled down a slept peacefully. There wasn't enough for me to have additional coverage, so I went a different route.

At 2AM, I made myself a "camp coffee," heated up a mini crock pot, and boiled water to put in my super long hot water bottle. I drank the coffee, warming my frozen hands in the process, and then climbed into bed with the water bottle and the warm crock to help keep me warm.

Eventually one child climbed into bed with another for warmth, which was the best idea yet. 

I didn't get any more sleep that night, but at least I wasn't freezing.


Comments

Popular Posts