[Nevertheless] Last is Greater than First


Many times in life we convince ourselves that we need something. I often find myself saying, "I need a macchiato." Sometimes it is a need - I need the caffeine to help treat a migraine - but other times I want the caffeine to give me a boost and the macchiato because it tastes good.

Many times in life we strive to be the greatest, to be first, to be the best. At work or at the grocery store, we vie for position in the board room or in the checkout line. We get impatient with people who get in our way, who cut in front of us, who take their time, who are less deserving than us of the position at the front or at the top. I may want to get where I'm going by a certain time, but in most cases, I don't need to ... the world won't come to an end if I'm a minute or two or ten late.

What would happen if we really thought about what was a need and what was a want - and then put others' needs before our wants? I know I could go without a macchiato and instead put a couple jars of peanut butter in the church's food pantry or buy a sandwich and juice for the man who greets me with a smile and a good morning outside the pharmacy, and who also happens to be homeless.

What would happen if I let others go ahead of me at the grocery store, or in traffic? If I chose to be happy for and support people who attain positions to which I'm aspiring instead of holding onto anger or resentment? If I chose to see helping others as a calling rather than a chore?

Now I'm not saying that we help others at the expense of ourselves. We must meet our own needs in order to be able to help meet others' needs. But perhaps we can let go of some of our wants in order to be good and kind to our fellow human beings.

When you change your default setting from putting your wants first to putting others' needs first, it can make your load lighter. By letting go of feeling driven by self-interest, by getting out of your own way, by doing good for others, you invite joy into your life. When we get what we want, we feel good for a while. When we help others get what they need, the sense of accomplishment, of doing good, stays with us.

I don't remember what else I got at the pharmacy that day, but I do remember the look of relief and pure joy on the man's face when I handed him a bag with a simple lunch and gave him a hug before heading to wherever I'd been previously rushing.


Comments

Popular Posts