To Get Good News


My cell phone rang while I was driving. Usually, I just let it go to voicemail, but this time was different. I knew my liver doctor's office was going to call with the results of my liver biopsy. Pulling off the road, I put my van in park and answered the call.

I was prepared for more bad news. The Fibroscan and the doctor who performed the test and read the results said for certain that I had cirrhosis of the liver and the biopsy would tell how bad things were and if there were underlying autoimmune issues complicating matters and needing treatment. When I heard my doctor's voice on the other end of the phone, my heart sank. The nurse I spoke with earlier about my bloodwork results said she would call back with my biopsy results and the doctor would only call if there was an issue needing the doctor's attention. As prepared as  I was for the possible news I was going to receive, nothing prepared me for what I heard next.

"I have good news for you." 

My brain screeched to a halt. I wasn't sure I heard her right. Surely she said bad news. I replayed her statement in my mind. Good news. I was unable to speak. Thankfully, the doctor continued, "you do not have cirrhosis of the liver..." The rest was a jumble of information that I wrote down under the first two words I'd written: "not cirrhosis." Feeling the need to share the good news (good news!!!) right away, I underlined those two words and showed Finn, who came along with me to the meeting I was going to. He quietly cheered and then texted his mom, my friend, to let her know. I was so thankful to have someone with whom to share the moment and to celebrate. 

The Fibroscan was wrong. The doctor who performed the Fibroscan and said the results were high enough where there was no doubt I had cirrhosis was wrong. No cirrhosis. I do have minor inflammation from autoimmune hepatitis; minimal scarring consistent with Celiac, non-alcohilic simple fatty liver or autoimmune hepatitis; and will have to continue to try to get as healthy as I can, as I continue to be at risk for developing cirrhosis.

I think I'm still in shock. As shocking as it was to get the bad news, it seems to be taking my mind longer to wrap itself around the fact that it's good news.

So today, and for a very long time, I shall celebrate good news, be thankful for all I've learned over the past month living with the bad news, and move forward with a new appreciation for just how precious life is.

Comments

  1. CONGRATS!!!!! I am so glad it was good news and not worse news!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts