Killing Me


I usually don't post about political things, but reading about the proposed healthcare bill that would replace "Obamacare" terrifies me. Should our current healthcare system be replaced by this atrocity, it could kill me. And others. Literally.

The majority of people on Medicaid are disabled, elderly, mentally ill, and children. I've read a lot in the past couple days about any cut in funding putting these people at risk. At risk of what, they don't usually spell out, so I'll do it for you. It puts elderly people, children, mentally ill people, the otherwise uninsured, and disabled people at risk of getting more ill. At risk of dying. 

Should I lose my Medicaid, I would not be able to afford health insurance. It would mean going off of the medications that I take that keep me functional, because I wouldn't be able to afford them. If I go off of these medications, I will no longer be able to walk. My joints would deteriorate to a greater extent, and quickly. It would be difficult for me to get out of bed. My autoimmune liver disease, which is at bay thanks to these medications, would rear its ugly head and could eventually necessitate a liver transplant, which I would also not be able to afford.

Losing Medicaid could kill me, slowly and painfully. 

For those of us who could possibly lose health coverage, the results could be devastating.  We could be refused treatment due to the regulation of which medications we're "allowed" to take or a cap on the cost of medications covered. Or the state could decide that insurance companies are no longer required to provide health insurance to those with pre-existing conditions, as that decision would be left to each state to decide, if I'm understanding correctly. 

I didn't choose to have a particularly aggressive case of psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, autoimmune liver disease, Hashimotos thyroidosis, celiac, OCD ... am I missing any? I planned on going back to work. Instead, I struggle every day to get out of bed and to keep moving, even with treatment. I give back through volunteer work, which would also become impossible should I go off of treatment for my illnesses. 

Disabled people do not choose to be disabled, nor do people with Alzheimer's or dementia or clinical depression or bipolar disorder choose how their brains work, nor do those children born into poverty choose to not be able to afford health care. Many people are one health crisis away from needing assistance themselves. 

The solution to this health care situation will not come about through the current administration's plans. It will, in fact, be made worse for the most vulnerable among us. 


Comments

Popular Posts