How Old?

Sometimes birthdays catch me off guard.

Yes, I knew Haley's birthday was coming up - that it's today. We got her a gift and planned a (albeit joint birthday / graduation / Father's Day) celebration. What I failed to do was wrap my brain around the fact that Haley is fifteen today. 15. One year away from sixteen. How the heck did that happen? How is my third child that old???

Looking back over the past year, I came to the realization that most of the highlights of Haley's year have involved performing in some way shape or form...

In Androcles and the Lion at Camp Calumet Drama Camp:


In Epoch Arts' Mini Production, Collide, in which she got to create her own character and write her own part:


In Haunted House (at Epoch Arts, of course!):


And made leaps and bounds in creating SFX make-up gore:


 In Epoch Arts' Arts Response: Responding to Hate with Love in which she sang "Losing" by Tenth Avenue North and in Dinner Show, in which she sang "Light in the Hallway" by Pentatonix and did a Jabberwocky skit.


She did have fun with friends at Lake Compounce, Mystic Aquarium (what an adventure the first time we attempted to go!), and other places: 


And most recently she played Finn, Seeker of the Snagglelump, Tooter of the Trumpet, Tamer of Deegan, Clanger of the Cymbals...in Epoch Arts' Mainstage Production, Unfinished People:


Haley amazes me every day with her ability to overcome joint pain and exhaustion in order to accomplish all that she does. Her bold creative spirit inspire me every day to overcome my own insecurities, step out of my comfort zone, and do crazy things like use the sewing machine. One of the things that I admire about her most is that she is fearless in her endeavors and jumps in with both feet - whether it's performing, crafting, special effects make-up, or cooking amazing things from scratch, without a recipe, and with whatever happens to be in the fridge at the time.

Happy 15th Birthday, Haley!!! May you always remember that the Snagglelump is always with you and to stay connected to something bigger. I love you! 







Comments

Popular Posts