[Seek] Unexpected Adventures


Ok, that doesn't quite make sense, as you can't quite seek the unexpected. Maybe it's more be open to unexpected adventures or don't panic when the unexpected happens because it can lead to something really amazing. 


My husband makes hearts, guitar picks, and other things from wood - mostly reclaimed pallet wood. I made a sign for our pastor, who loved how it looked next to her office door at church, so I decided to make her one for her home as well. I posted my creation online, and now have seven more to make (and counting)- but didn't have wood of the correct size with which to work. My husband put the word out on facebook to see if anyone had any wood we could use, and several offers came in. 

We made arrangements to meet our friend Scott at his place of employment to have our pick of broken pallets. Deciding to make it a date night, since we haven't had one since quarantine began, I picked up gluten-free pizza before picking Jim up from work, and then we began the hour-long drive to Stafford Springs. The exit we needed to take to the highway we needed to take was closed - as was a stretch of the highway, so we got off the next exit and took a more scenic route, laughing that of course this would happen to us.
 


Upon finally arriving at our destination, I was pleasantly surprised. The art on the concrete pillars holding up the railroad tracks was astounding. The more I investigated the graffiti art, the more in awe I became. What a beautiful, colorful treat  - and what a change of pace from the very few places I venture during this time of social distancing!
 


While I wandered, my husband sorted through pallets and loaded selected pallets into our van. The farther I wandered, the more I felt as if I was entering another world. 



What could have been a long tedious drive made longer by a closed exit, followed by the work of sorting through and loading pallets transformed into something different. It became and evening of good food, good music, and uninterrupted conversation; of face-to-face (socially distanced) catching-up with a friend; of free admission to an unconventional art experience. 

Comments

Popular Posts