To Move Forward


There is a remarkable amount forward movement in my life these days.

Tuesday Night Sunday School, Epoch Arts Homeschool Co-op, Puppet Ministry, Mini-Production, and other activities are in full swing. We're planning our trip to PA for Thanksgiving. The refugee resettlement ministry I'm a part of has given the "green light" to our parent organization to resettle another family. Our church's Call Committee is moving forward in the process of calling a new pastor to our congregation. And Christmas is right around the corner ... isn't it?

There are so many things about which I'm excited every day. It's wonderful to have much to look forward to...especially when I have so many stressors in my life.

When I was first diagnosed with chronic illness after chronic illness and my health steadily declined, I needed to take stock of what was important and let go of activities that drained my energy and bogged me down. As I figured out what was truly feeding my soul, I discovered things that I'd always said I loved doing were actually more stressful than joyous. Some of the letting go process was heartbreaking, but in the end, was completely worth it.

I never thought I could let go of too much, but when I found myself with too little to look forward to, I started sinking into depression. Being excited about things to come drove me to take care of myself better, improving my health as much as possible so that I could partake in these spirit-lifting activities.

Living with chronic pain and illness is a balancing act, as you discover what things serve you well, and what needs to be left behind. Just as important as taking care of yourself physically, nourishing your soul is just as important. Creating harmony between your physical limitations and your chosen activities propels you through life with a sense of excitement for the future.
 
Living with the trials and uncertainties that go hand in hand with chronic illness, it's imporant to move forward in joy and expectation.

Comments

Popular Posts