To Receive Thanks


Sometimes things are put into your hands just when you need them the most.

On a day of too much illness and too little energy; of financial strain made worse by costly vehicle repairs; of being at the end of my emotional rope, I was holding on by a thread at best.

And then my nineteen year old walked into the living room and handed me an envelope given to him by a friend. It contained a beautiful painting and a heartwarming note for me. The artist and note's author explained that she wasn't sure what the right words were to say, but, to me, every word was perfect. Every word reflected this beautiful young woman who is coming into her own. The slightly-awkward-saying-meaningful-things-to-people in her resonated deeply with the still-awkward-saying-meaningful-things-to-people in me.

That one piece of paper with those heartfelt words affirmed that the work, the pain, the struggle, and the tears are worth the joy I feel when I'm able to do things or write things that make even the slightest difference in someone's life.

Sometimes a kind word or gesture can make all the difference in someone's day. I live in gratitude for people who take the time to say thank you, especially in such a deep and meaningful way.

Today, I intend... 

...to fully express my gratitude to people who make or have made a difference in my life. 

...to look deeper - to not take the effort someone puts in at face value - and to appreciate the energy others put in to what they do. 

...to have patience with those who are struggling - whether or not the struggle is noticeable. 


Comments

Popular Posts