To Give Up Embarrassment


Two of my children and I attended a performance of Lion King Kids, performed by fifth graders at Polk school in Oakville, CT. The students all put on a wonderful performance, but one child stood out above the others.

This tiny girl obviously went to many rehearsals. She knew all the songs and was confident in the arm motions that accompanied them. The joy she exuded verse after verse, song after song, was contagious. Her passion for musical theater - or at least for this play - was evident.

And she wasn't even in the cast.




This precious child stood on her mom's lap, danced in the aisle, absorbing every note into her being and expressing them with unbound delight. Some might have found this distracting or even annoying, but not me. It was a pleasure to watch her fully enveloping herself in the show, not a criticism or thought of anything extraneous thing crossing her mind, I'm sure. The embodiment of sheer enjoyment, planted a huge smile on my face, and the faces of all who chose to recognize pure joy in action. 


One thing I love about little ones is that they lack a sense of embarrassment. What would life be like if we gave up being embarrassed to fully express joy? 

Today, I intend ...

... to not only find joy, but to express it to its fullest, without worry of looking silly...without embarrassment. 

... to take delight in the mundane.

... to regain some semblance of order in the visual chaos that is my house so that I may better enjoy life, even when I need to spend it in bed.

Comments

Popular Posts