Waiting to Wait



A teenage girl sits alone, praying the man she loves won't be angry, won't leave her, when he finds out the burden and the blessing she carries - when she reveals to him that she's pregnant. The baby is not his. She fears he will, as most men would, take back the promises he's made and leave her to deal with her situation on her own.

He considers leaving at first. Instead he stays. I had a dream, he says. Everything will be ok.

The two journey forward together, despite the reactions of family, friends, and neighbors. Their love for each other, for God, and for the child she carries prevails.

That must have been a long nine months, and in that time, so much to do. There were angels to guide them, a baby for whom to prepare, their own hearts to prepare to receive this blessed child. How do you prepare to give birth to God? To parent God?

As soon as Halloween is over, my waiting begins. Stores displaying all sorts of holiday loveliness don't help my situation. No, I'm not waiting for Christmas. I'm not nearly ready for that. That stores are already peddling holiday wares and blasting holiday music is a great source of annoyance to me. I'm waiting for Advent - my favorite time of year. Essentially I'm waiting to wait; waiting to prepare; waiting for that feeling of expectancy that only comes during Advent. Just as I lived all those long weeks yearning to meet my own babies, I long to wait those short weeks yearning to celebrate the birth of the Son of God and Son of Man.

Shopping for gifts for family and friends, baking, decorating, and myriad holiday activities make up the standard preparations of the masses. The expectation of gifts, a visit from Santa, and a holiday feast fill the minds of most while some are just hoping to scrape enough together for a gift for their child and food for their table. Stress seems the hallmark feeling of the season, with either too much to do or to little to go around.

The hustle and bustle of the season starts earlier every year. Christmas decor in stores before Halloween, Black Friday ads before Veteran's Day. I don't want hustle, nor bustle. I want peace, family, togetherness, worship - to hold holy in my heart the hope elicited by the impending birth of the God-child. To accomplish this, I seek stillness and serenity during Advent.

Each morning we will move farther along the Advent spiral path from darkness toward Light. Each evening we will light our Advent candles, share our highs and lows, a passage from Scripture and a story, a prayer and a blessing, and anticipate the resounding joy of Christmas morning when we will wrap ourselves in the warmth of God's love for us through Jesus' birth.

Comments

Popular Posts