Inspiration




I was off psoriatic arthritis meds and undergoing neurological testing when I went to the thrift store and used my wheelchair to get around. While I was checking out, the person behind me said to me that I was such an inspiration, being out and about in my condition. All this person knew about me was that I was a human being in a wheelchair - yet because I was in public in a wheelchair, I was an inspiration. Or maybe it was because I was cheerful and in a wheelchair? I have no idea. The point is, to me, a person using their body to the best of its capacity in an everyday setting isn't inspiring. It's life as usual. It's like calling a three-legged cat inspiring. It's not. It's just that a cat with three legs can still do cat things, but makes compensations for a different body configuration. Or a person wearing glasses being an inspiration for leading a productive life despite needing the crutch of glasses to be able to function better.

Many people with disabilities don't like to be called inspirational just because they are leading functional lives. Often I don't know how to respond, because in some contexts, that statement, as well-intentioned as it might be, negates me as a person and objectifies me as disability in action.

What is inspiring, is someone who speaks up for those who can't or are too afraid to speak for themselves. Someone who works to the best of their ability to make the world a better place. Someone who uses their talents to help others. Someone who lives life, instead of just going through the motions, when life is at its toughest. Someone who stands up for their beliefs even if those around them do not agree with them.

Do you know who inspires me?

A young refugee family I know who, in less than eleven months have learned a good amount of english, gained employment, and is acclimating to this country beautifully, even when they miss home and family. Who, even when they're unsure what the future holds, thrive when the resettlement team takes a step back to let them fly on their own.

A wonderful, kind, friendly man who grew up in Rwanda, witnessed horrible atrocities, and still managed to see, be, and share God's love and grace in and with the world.

A beautiful young woman who didn't have the easiest childhood, and who by all means could live life angry with the world, but who radiates her faith and God's love through her words and actions. 

A group of teens who are comfortable enough with each other to talk about anything and everything - and who don't flinch when one mentions that he's bisexual or when another requests a change in personal pronouns to match their gender. 

And so many more people who are inspirations for who they are and how they live their lives...not what "normal" things they are able to do despite their physical differences. I'd rather you be inspired by my words or my actions rather than by my participation in life despite my physical limitations.





Comments

Popular Posts