Making the Best of a Rotten Situation


On days like this when life hits me hard, I want to scream, to cry, to panic, and curl up in a ball of misery. But I don't. Instead I pray, and pray, and reach out, accept offered help, and pray some more. Ok, so maybe I cry a little, too. 

Years ago, I would have been a mess of worry, stress, and anxiety. Today, I choose to see this as an opportunity to get my house, quite literally, in order. To fix what needs to be fixed, replace what needs to be replaced, and have a better house in the end. 

We'll find a way to pay back my parents' generosity, should it be needed,  and will reach out to our community for whatever help can be provided. Our house may be falling apart in the most literal sense of the words, and at times I may feel like I might fall apart as well,  but I know we will get through this, just like we've gotten through myriad other tough times. Since I can't change the situation, I'll just have to change how I view it...


After all, we still have a roof over our heads. We have food to eat. We will emerge on the other side of this with a stronger, safer house. We will then, little by little, tackle the comparatively minor repairs when we can. We will be ok. 

Finding out water has been getting behind the deck lashing and rotting a wall of our house for years gave us quite a shock. I'm sure the dollar amount on the adjuster's estimate to rebuild the wall and the deck will do the same. I can't imagine what the demolition and rebuilding process is going to be like, but I am sure of one thing - we'll make the best of this rotten situation (pun intended). 

Comments

Popular Posts