an impressive [moment]

[moment 22]

Onyx sat on the medical table swinging their legs, waiting anxiously for their appointment to begin. They had been having increased bouts of dizziness, their heart rate consistently high when standing, and they nearly passed out several times. We'd gone to the ER, they had been referred to cardiology, and now we were hoping for a diagnosis.

Both the ECG at the ER and the cardiologist were fine, much to our relief. We spoke with a resident and then with the cardiologist and they confirmed that nothing critical was happening. In discussion with the doctors we connected the dots on some things we hadn't considered related to what's going on with Onyx presently.  

Finally, the doctor asked me what I thought might be going on. We talked about anxiety, and how I didn't think anxiety or panic attacks were a good fit. I mentioned their hypermobile type Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and how I suspected POTS or something similar, as it is fairly common in people with hEDS, especially teens. The cardiologist agreed. Dysautonomia is the official diagnosis. 

As they do, Onyx read through all the medical paperwork on our way home from their appointment and listed the things they would need to get to help them cope with everything dysautonomia might throw their way. 

There was a moment there in the van as I drove and they read that I realized just how impressed I am with the way Onyx handles the things that come their way. That their reaction was not a "woe is me" type reaction, but instead a proactive "what do I need to do now to manage this" reaction. They seemed more relieved than concerned, and eager to learn how to manage their new diagnosis so they can live life to the fullest. 

Comments

Popular Posts