[a moment] of mom joy

[moment 19]

I'm a mom. I think I've always been a mom in the sense that ever since I can remember, I've wanted to take care of people. It doesn't matter if the person is young enough to be my child (or grandchild!) or my age or older than me. I can mom just about anyone. 

One of the ways in which I mom is making sure my "other" children are ok. There are times I communicate more with my daughter's fiance than my daughter (who, by the way, answers my paragraph long texts with the minimum number of words required). And I drive two hours to Vermont to have lunch with another one of my "other" children. This "other" child has a child of his own, and recently we had the pleasure of hanging out with both of them for a few hours on a Saturday. 

Knowing that our visit was going to coincide with precious time spent with his daughter - and that one of the reasons for our visit was for him to do more work on one of my tattoos - I did the creative mom thing of preparing an art project for his daughter and my thirteen year old to do while I was taking up dad's time and attention. 

We brought washable markers and stickers and things and as soon as we went to the other room to work on my arm, the young artists got to work adding color and stickers to their project. 

Jake and I took a break for lunch, and while we were sitting and chatting, E gave her dad the artwork...

The moment that his face lit up in pure delight at the wonderful creation his daughter had given him made my mom heart overflow with joy. 

E was tickled pink at her dad's reaction to her masterpiece, which now hangs on the wall in his bedroom. If this is a glimpse into what it will be like to watch my children with my future grandchildren - to have a grandma moment - then I hope I'm around to experience it!

Comments

Popular Posts